Day 1 of my "let's do this" beginning.
Maybe an introduction to who I am would be best. First and foremost I am a mom to 4 kiddos who are pretty awesome 80% of the time. The other 20% they're work. Which comes with the territory, there's tantrums, fights, hurt feelings, band-aids, pushing, shoving, he said, she said, you name it. I'm the negotiator and final say on just about every complaint/issue in this house. It's exhausting, but I think any other mom out there would agree it's just part of the job.
My kids are 6, 4, 22 months and 1 month. We're busy! I'm happily married to my high school sweet heart, going on 8 year right now. I work from home, for a health care company, and am thankful to have a job and income that allows my husband and I to put a roof over our heads and food on the table: this is not to be taken for granted: there are many folks out there struggling and not able to provide like my husband and I can. We're not "rich" by any means. You won't see me on the "Real Housewives of My Town". Nope, we're a paycheck to paycheck kind of family, but, we make due.
I recently puzzled out that my newborn baby girl may be lactose intolerant (may be--testing out this theory this week by eliminating dairy from my diet). So today begins a FUN journey (insert sarcasm); watching what I eat, shopping for dairy/soy free meals, and meal prepping the heck out of my week so that I don't just sit and starve--although, this is where the "let's do this" starts.
I am obese: thank you mandatory health risk assessment (my job gives discounts on health care costs if you take the assessment and meet 3 of 4 benchmarks: glucose, cholesterol, BMI and pulse. If they're all in a "normal" range, you save $50 a month--which lets be honest, who doesn't want to save that kind of dough through out the year?). But I'm not just obese according to them, I know I am, but everyone around me knows I am, including a wonderful cheery man who loudly stated "all fat people should be exterminated" while a friend and I were out to breakfast. Talk about awkward as our "fluffy behinds" sat there eating breakfast, listening to him rant and rave about how disgusting fat people were (her and I both being of the plus size nature). You could tell his companion joining him was embarrassed, but did nothing to end the conversation. Perhaps he felt the same way?
Nonetheless, I know where I rank. I can tell the way my husband looks at me, the way the public looks at me, and by my mothers remarks. Don't get me started on my mom. "Bet you can't wait to get your body back" she'd say, any chance she could while I was pregnant with my 4th. Yea mom, I can't wait to get my body back--keep in mind, she's plus size too, and constantly yo-yo'ing on what ever fad diet or self diagnosed "glucose intolerant diet" she thinks is the new "it" thing that week/month/year. Thanks mom for nicely saying "you're fat now, but once you have your 4th and final kid, then you have no excuse for staying fat". Ugh.
Insecurities are exhausting, am I right?
I'm taking this "no-dairy" opportunity to start a life change. Obviously everyone feels I need a "change"--and while I want to do this for "me" like all the inspirational quotes say you should on Pinterest: let's be honest for one moment. You all know you're not "doing it for you"--you're all doing it because you're tired of everyone else. I know I am! Enough!
So Day 1: I prepped gigantic bowls of fruit salad and ceviche (veggies, lime juice, cilantro, shrimp--yum!) for the week. Stocked the fridge with lots of raw fruits/veggies and the all important Almond Milk. Cupboards have stuff I can eat too. I'm reading a lot about all the items that have dairy in them (who knew some of these items that said "dairy free" weren't actually dairy free!?! False advertising at it's best!). Goal is to make it a full week with no dairy and see if the little lady perks up. I kind of have no choice, since I am breastfeeding and the little lady is telling me something's up.
Stats: I am 267.9 lbs and only 5 ft 6in. Based on my weight I know, I should be 11 feet tall to have a healthy BMI--I'm working on it. But at this junction in my life, on the cusp of 30, I think I'm done growing (in fact I may even start shrinking)--so, it's probably more ideal if I work on my weight.
So: I'm 267.9. That's after losing all my baby weight from baby #4. Keep in mind, babies 1, 2 and 3: I still maintain that baby weight. Sadly--that makes up for 67.9ish pounds. My goal is to get back to a healthy weight in the 150 lb range. I have a LONG way to go. I'm 4 weeks post my 4th c-section, and in two weeks should be getting the "a-okay" to begin exercising. I have a great 3 mile loop in a park near my house that I like to walk; and I also have a treadmill for those nasty weather days where I can still get in my "steps". That's my plan today anyway. We'll see how my world influences my goals.
Weight: 267.9
BMI: 43.2
Feeling: optimistic
LBS to lose: 117.9ish
No comments:
Post a Comment